Tuesday, April 18, 2006

happy as annie

  • Toronto Sun's review of the Death Cab & Franz Ferdinand gig last night in Toronto. Kids, you have to be stupid to like Death Cab over Franz... Really.
  • Pete Doherty's signed up to participate in the Celebrity Soccer Six tournament. Kaiser Chiefs and Goldie Lookin' Chain are among the 160 other celebs participating.
  • In case there are any emo kids reading, Bright Eyes is heading on on a mini-Canadian tour in the beginning of June.
  • Interesting Morrissey item for auction on eBay (with a kinda interesting story behind it).
  • Speaking of the devil, Morrissey returns to Manchester tonight.
  • Torr has The Editors doing an acoustic cover of Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc.". It makes me laugh my ass off.
  • Everyone loves Gnarls Barkley's video for "crazy". It is pretty fucking awesome.
  • You can stream the new album from The Streets on MySpace. My feelings are mixed.
  • Watching Dial-A-Fetus is 2 minutes well-wasted.
  • 7 Comments:

    Blogger Janice said...

    Thanks for the Gnarls Barkley's video. LOVE the song!

    11:59 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was at that Franz/Death Cab show last night, completely surrounded by Death Cab fans, the majority of them 14 year old boys whose voices hadn't yet changed. Franz did their best but it's hard to come off well when almost everyone there was there for a horribly boring band.... Oh well. The Cribs were ace.

    -mary

    1:57 PM  
    Blogger Angela said...

    Agreed! Will be seeing Franz/Death Cab next week and all the mediocre reports are disheartening.. Franz better blow the fucking roof off of the Corral.

    Also: not all kids who listen to Bright Eyes are emo!

    3:37 PM  
    Blogger Mike D said...

    That Sun review of the Franz show was a hearty bit of bollocks.
    I can't believe the reviewer faulted the band for the venue—I thought it was common knowledge that the band generally has no say in the matter. As bad as the Ricoh is anything is better than the Docks.

    Criticising the Archdukes for having a similar play list as last October is ludicrous considering they have a catalogue of two LPs and a few B-sides. Hey-Zesus Christ they played the brand spanking new Lyndsey Wells along with a good mix from both LPs.

    What was that business about Franz being more suited to a Pub in its homeland than an arena? I've got no idea what Scotttish pubs the reviewer's frequented but Franz would've been more at home in a private party like the legendary Chateau gigs where the lads earned chops or failing that a nice sweaty, dingy club would do nicely. But there's no way Franz is a bar band.

    The Death Cab part of the show wasn't magical. The sound didn't improve. It just got louder in the low end and that just ends up hurting your ears.

    You could tell the fire alarm thing was eating-up Gibbard. For ten minutes he sounded about as whiney as one of his songs. Either say your complain once and play through it with some good graces or throw a tantrum and refuse to play until it's resolved. A rock star shouldn't sound like those inane-radio-call-in-show -curmudgeons.

    But the reviewer was about one thing, the kiddies loved Death Cab way more than Franz. But it wasn't due to the bands respective performances there were just more teenage Death Cab fans there. The way some were scream at Gibbard I was expecting to hear "Ben make me a real man/woman; take me to where our souls meet body." I figured they'd be more docile and crossed armed but clearly I've forgotten what it was like to be a precocious teen.

    9:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just don't get Death Cab.
    In other news, if I was on team Ireland, I would not want Petey D on the sidelines.

    10:23 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Shit, I got my name and my page backwards. I need sleep.

    10:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ^ that sums it up perfectly; I only wish that I could be that eloquent. And I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it got louder during Death Cab... it got painful, my ears are still ringing. I would've left but it would've taken me an hour to get through the crowd.

    10:28 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home