Friday, June 09, 2006

hooray for hooliganism

  • World Cup Soccer insanity begins today! I'm looking forward to the hooliganism!
  • Kasabian have covered David Bowie's "Heroes" as the theme music for a British TV station's World Cup coverage. I hope it turns up online at some point.
  • Chart's review of Radiohead's first Toronto show on Wednesday. I'm so jealous of everyone who got tickets!
  • The big news yesterday was that Pete Doherty checked himself into rehab in Portugal. Essentially they're just knocking him out for a week so he doesn't have to do it cold turkey but his lawyer says the treatment is "going well".
  • The Glastonbury spin-off "The Lost Weekend" has been cancelled. Tis a shame.
  • Gnarls Barkley have announced more shows including a Toronto date on September 9th!
  • Razorlight have gone into the studio with Ray Davies to record a new version of "Sunny Afternoon". Great song so I have high hopes Razorlight won't fuck it up.
  • David Bowie will be making a guest appearance in an episode of the second series of Ricky Gervais' show 'Extras'.
  • The Pipettes new video for "Pull Shapes" is so cliche and cheesy I get pink in the face just watching it. (That's a good thing!)
  • Keane are trying to prove to everyone that they're bad-ass by swearing a lot.
  • Torr posted a great link to Stylus' Top 10 post-Britpop (commercial) flops. I don't care what anyone says, I really liked Catatonia's 'Paper Scissors Stone'.
  • The Automatic covering "Gold Digger" = hilarious.
  • Aaaand have a great weekend everyone!
  • 9 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    this is a bit late but, congratulations on graduating!!
    and thank you a million for introducing me to Lily Allen; she's wonderful.

    the Pipettes video is also pretty much the best thing ever.

    -mary

    4:14 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Thanks a lot Mary! :)

    I'm glad you're sharing my love for the sassy new new girls!

    Have a good weekend!

    5:08 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats on graduating!

    I <3 The Automatic! I met them in Leeds awhile back. They were very sweet and I love their songs. Thanks for the link to Gold Digger.

    7:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I dunno if you've seen this or not, but I just watched it and thought it was quite possibly the most brilliant award show performance of all time.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VCWJVvE0Fk

    2:46 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ^markus

    2:47 AM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Anonymous - Thanks! And I hope to hear more from The Automatic myself!

    Markus - Oooh! Thanks for that footage! I didn't get a chance to see it on TV! AMAZING!

    Oh and by the way, remember when this time last year we were in ITALY? Crazy! I want to run away!

    10:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    how can i forget it, there were never ever two sexier kids on a scooter.

    -markus

    1:15 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Pipettes video is based on (and uses footage from , I think) cult classic Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

    4:39 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Karl - Ooh! I think I've read that book!

    4:40 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home