Tuesday, September 19, 2006

you can't poo a cloud

  • Final Fantasy won the Polaris Music Prize last night. He was not one of the 80% of nominees I was rooting for... I just don't get it (the album).... I tried to listen to it again this morning on the drive in to work but it's, dare I say, too weird (even for me). I barely made it to track 4. WHAT AM I MISSING PEOPLE?
  • 14 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Its funny...Final Fantasy is something that just clicked with me. I loved it from the first listen.
    To each their own though.

    12:33 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey which bands are coming to town on November 10, 11?

    2:47 PM  
    Blogger Joachim Beckers said...

    what are you missing? the right feeling/ambiance maybe. final fantasy is just not the kind of music you listen to in your car.

    and if you really want to grab the feeling, go and see owen live. it's so emotional. makes me cry evrey single time.

    3:12 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you for admitting that you don't get Final Fantasy. Neither do I. Yes, his music has an inventive structure. He's interesting to watch live. But I've never been a fan of solo violin, even if it's been looped. And his music is just a bit too precious for me. Then there's Polaris host Jian Ghomeshi, but don't even get me started on him....

    8:07 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Chris - Dude EVERYONE BUT Final Fantasy was robbed!

    Anonymous - Yeah I think I just missed the boat on this one... Or subconsciously all the hype put me off (as it often does).

    Anonymous - Is this a trick question? I think Scissor Sisters are in town on the 10th and my nimble fingers tell me that The New Pronographers -or alternately, Pet Shop Boys- have shows on the 11th.

    Joachim Beckers - I think maybe it might be more interesting when I'm in bed on a rainy day... Generally I'm really into lyrics and I find his a bit, uh, abstract, so perhaps that's putting me off.

    Mark - My pleasure man. I'm glad its not just me! Were you at the awards? Did you see the roll being thrown at Jian?

    10:07 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't want to hate. mean, the man is tremendously talented and obviously creative but a part of me wonders if the hype Final Fantasy's received for "He Poos Clouds" has less to do with the aforementioned recording and more to with the admirable and skillful way he creates his sounds live.

    It almost feels as if he's being given bonus points by the teacher's marking the tests on the knowlege that he's a tremendous live musician and violinist that can do some pretty amazing things with very little and I say this because his live performance is usually mentioned whenever this album is written about or discussed.

    And while I won't deny that I find Owen captivating to watch and listen to live, a part of me wonders what people would have written about "He poos clouds" if it had been entirely created on a computer using samples.

    After catching him live (there I go again) with Arcade Fire and reading some album reviews I was sort of hoping "He poos Clouds" would be this year's "The Hour of Bewilderbeast" or "Illinoise;" dense, layered, beautiful, rich music with pop touches that would beg to be listened to on my stereo, PSP, or in my girlfriend's car over and over again but it just doesn't have that wow factor. Or maybe I just wasn't high enough when I listened to it... Whatever the case, I've now got 20,000 reaons to give it another go.

    MM

    12:08 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    he poos clouds is the album of the year.
    i'm just so happy for them.
    c'mon people, just listen to 'this lamb sells condos', the guy is a genius!

    stefanos,greece

    4:15 AM  
    Blogger Bobby B said...

    Yah, I like "He Poos Clouds" too but I do find it hard to take all in one sitting. And his voice kinda gets to me after a while. But, hey, any indie Canadian talent getting recognition is cool with me.

    6:56 AM  
    Blogger Gilberto said...

    Hipster wankery.

    -G.

    10:53 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    gilberto......nice picture dude. you look so deep in thought. what a dork.

    1:19 PM  
    Blogger Gilberto said...

    Why thank you, it's actually more like lack of fibre in my diet.

    But at least i don't post anonymously.

    -G.

    2:21 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i was really hoping for malajube. dudes who still cram into a van and play shitty shows in the middle of nowhere to nobody, like rock and roll bands should.


    - michael k

    12:14 AM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    MM - Has anyone ever told you you should be a writer ;)

    Anonymous - "'He Poos Clouds' - Album of the Year!" It just doesn't sound right to me! But I'll give it another try!

    quadb - I hear yea. And I agree with it being nice to just see any Canadian musician getting recognition for their efforts!

    Gilberto - YOU'RE THE BEST!

    Anonymous - I'll have you know that G is always the coolest looking guy at the bar!

    Gilberto - Nice burn!

    Michael K - Yeah I would have been happy to see them win!!

    8:47 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just wanted to say that Owen does "cram" into a van (ok, not so hard when you're a one-piece) and tour all the time. Check out his schedule sometime. In fact he had to leave the Polaris afterparty early because he was playing a bunch of BC dates starting the next day - flying out there, but hitting a lot of small towns. He has no major label backing and does a lot of stuff at a loss, so it's not about lacking in rock'n'roll lifestyle points, although nobody has to like it.

    6:39 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home