Thursday, May 11, 2006

only happy when it rains - occasionally

  • I love rainy, grey days like this. This morning the rain was so loud it was like waking up in a tent.
  • James Dean Bradfield, frontman of Manic Street Preachers, releases his debut solo album 'The Great Western' this summer. I'm looking forward to hearing the first single because he has a really lovely voice.
  • Clor have split up. That didn't last long.
  • Skatterbrain has "Pull Shapes", the awesome new single from The Pippetes, avails for download.
  • Metric have created their own music festival, "Dog Day Afternoon" with tour dates in Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal this July. Other bands making apperances include Fiery Furnaces, Holy Fuck, Secret Machines and Electric Six.
  • Here's a live version of Art Brut's brilliant "Moving to LA" that I meant to post a few days ago.
  • People are very confused about the new Britney Muse single "Supermassive Black Hole".
  • CBC examines the trend of run-on song titles. Bands guilty of the charge include Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, Sufjan Stevens, Of Montreal, and The Flamng Lips.
  • Ashlee Simpson won't fess up to her recent nose job.
  • Vice: The Comic Issue.
  • 8 Comments:

    Blogger Gilberto said...

    That Art Brut song is about to become my theme song i think. Or the theme song for the sitcom based on me. Or some the sitcom based on the movie based on the book based on me... i think.

    *hugs*

    G.

    1:46 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    that art brut "song" is horrible. how about having a tune next time?

    7:08 PM  
    Blogger Mike D said...

    All hail the Pipettes and their hopeful impending domination of the pop world. It's about time someone revived '60s-style girl groups with their catchy harmonies and feel good music and give it a slight modern tweak. Now I thought the Bees had taken the '60s revival sound to perfection with Chicken Payback but these girls are shaming my boys back home to the Isle of Wright.

    As soon as I heard Your Kisses Are Wasted on Me I scoured the blogs and grabbed every Pipettes tune I could find. Since then It been all Pipettes all the time. I was finally able to pull myself out of their net today but I only got about 15 seconds into another tune before I was back to Becki, Gwenno and Rose. Plus the fact that they dress impeccably, they're cute as buttons and good Brighton girls has left this boy smitten.

    Given the dearth of good new tunes this year and the 15 or so I've heard from them We Are the Pipettes could easily be my album of the year. So I say 'pfft' to Gnarls Barkley. 'Meh' to the Raconteurs. 'Whatever' to OutKast. 'So what' to the Happy Mondays. 'Come again now' to Bloc Party. 'Sorry' to my beloved Annie. Even 'oh' to my dear Dirty Pretty Things (whose tracks I could not get enough of until the Pipettes came into my life). 'Cause my most anticipated album this year is We Are the Pipettes and if you know what's good for you it should be your's as well.

    P.S. Rose, Gwenno and especially Becki if you happen to be lurking around I am willing to father any and all children you want and be a stay at home dad.

    I was thinking the same thing about Clor. Oh well I'm glad I saw them at University College London when I was making Europe my playgorund.

    8:50 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    let's see; muse, britney, ashlee, james bradfield, hmmm..........your blog sucks and i will stop reading now that i know you have little to no taste. the pipettes are pretty cool though

    10:25 AM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Gilberto - Aw yes, how very appropriate, and SAD that you're leaving us :(

    Anonymous - I really like Art Brut. But I'll work on posting more tunes in the future.

    MikeD - Hey! Long time no see! I should have expected you to be all over The Pipettes! You should post your comment there (about the band) in your blog - its far too clever to be found in a comments section! Like you, I can't wait for the album and for them to tour over here! I seriously want to BE them!

    Anonymous - Those names you listed don't neccesarliy represent my taste. I was simply pointing out that the new Muse single sounds like a Britney Spears song, Ashlee Simpson who has long been the subject for indie ridicule continues to be so, and that James Dean Bradfield has a lovely voice. Some posts reflects my taste more than others and other days I'm just searching for news (any news) to post about... But please stop reading if you're so fucking serious about the music blogs you read reflected your exact personal tastes... And stop commenting because I really dont need people criticizing me for something I do AS A SERVICE (on my own time) to others.

    11:35 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    lighten up-

    11:38 AM  
    Blogger Dodge said...

    so seriously, you link to MOKB in the post below...first time in forever, and then you diss me in this one by saying Stereogum has the Editors covering REM? Where did he get it!? HUH!? HUH!?

    Oh, you are a fickle little monkey!

    11:49 AM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Awwww!!! I didn't realize you were the original!!! I'm sowwie!

    11:51 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home