Wednesday, April 26, 2006

tell me there's no goodbyes

  • Britney's pregnant again. Or so they say. If I were her and I wasn't pregnant already, I'd be getting pregnant now, if only to avoid the awkward "I'm not prgenant, just fat" explanations.
  • Kylie Minogue's been hanging out with Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters) in New York. More collaborations seem likely! Hurrah!
  • The new Primal Scream song "Country Girl" is killer.
  • Pitchfork has reviewed the new Artic Monkeys EP "Who the Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?". I don't know if I'm going to bother.
  • Stereogum has a new Sufjan Stevens song from the new album 'The Avalanche: Outtakes And Extras From The Illinois Album'.
  • Take Your Medicine had posted a gorgeous Snow Patrol track featuring Martha Wainwright. It might just be my favourite track off their new album.
  • The Streets next single will be "Never Went To Church". It's about his father if I remember correctly.
  • Popstar Poetry has a clever parody of The Streets.
  • For those of you heading to Coachella this weekend... Have a brilliant time you lucky bastards!
  • I'm in St Catharines for the next few days spending time with my friends sooo I'll be taking a "personal day" tomorrow (there will be no post). I hope you understand and manage to amuse yourselves with the plentitude of links on the sidebar. I'll try my darndest to have a new post for you on Friday afternoon.
  • 9 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i fuckin' hate pitchfork!

    obviously nerd indie pavement fans are not going to like arctic monkeys and oasis.........

    shame really........
    leave them to there crap lo fi indie rock....... no one really cares about pavement anymore, and no one will care about broken social scene and the 100's of other bands right now that are complete shite that pitchfork wank over every month.....

    fuckem'

    2:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm going to assume you're an NME fan.

    Based on your assumption that "nerd indie pavement fans" are not going to love artic monkeys and Oasis, can I make the assumption that the average NME fan will love any snarky, handsome, fashionable euro-frontman with a thick enough accent, a little cockney and enough bravado to back up a few observations about dancefloors and nonsuch. My problem with a lot of the stuff the NME's proclaimed to be brilliant as of late is the music behind these front cover dudes is just... meh; umoving to me. The melodies are repetitive, trotty, and usually in the same key. Dance worthy? Sure but haven't you ever noticed that most good DJs usually follow these bands up with the superior influences they're borrowing from? Oh, and I know the Monkeys weren't created by the mainstream media; they're a result of pre-teen blogmania but now the mainstream media has decided to cash in... big time. Maybe the Monkeys will overcome this hype and grow out of their diapers and into into the new Libertines (or better!) and if so, I'm fully prepared to buy an album and eat my words but it better happen fast because any more hyperbole and I'm bound to book a plane to Sheffield, purchase a kilo of Heroine and intervene myself. Fuck songs about fame - I can't relate. Write powerful music - then I'll listen!

    Oh and just so you know, Pavement were fans of english lo-fi bands like the fall.

    Cheers,


    MM

    8:37 PM  
    Blogger Steve said...

    Wow, tough comments to follow. Pitchfork was a bit harsh on these guys, I agree... "No Buses" in itself is worth the price of the EP.

    12:23 AM  
    Blogger Gilberto said...

    I like Pavement and the Arctic Monkeys. I believe i am not the only one.

    The thing is to stop lapping up everything an artist puts out (not particularly refereing to the Arctic MOnkeys here). That is what makes you and I different from the average Michael Jackson fan.

    I also like Oasis, to give you an easy example. I even like Oasis mk. II more than I. But i am not goign to agree with the people that every 3 yrs say "this is the best fookin record of the last 10 yrs and the best since Mornign Glory" every time the monobrow twins decide to stop slacking and record.

    I like the Libertines. I think Babsyshambles sucks fiercely. I have hope for Dirty Pretty things. I don't stop thinking because i am a fan of some of Doherty's (and Barat's) work. Incidentaly, that is why it is funny to see some Pete followers diss the Monkeys - they after all, are doing what Kate Moss' ex seems incapable to do nowadays.

    G.

    3:04 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    the fall stink 2
    i read mojo and rock snob!
    i read pitchfork cause its like an accident on the side of the road.... and the nme cause its like access hollywood.......... get it?

    the reason why the arctic monkeys are special is cause they have made an album for the underclass.........
    like the stones in the 60's, the pistols in the 70's, the jam and the roses in the 80's and oasis and nirvana in the 90's!
    They will be rememberd cause they have related to the masses.......

    something that ignorant pitchfork writers will never understand, cause those dicks are not and never have been blue collar.

    see i actually like pavement, and oasis and belle and sebastian and the sugababes............
    im just sick of left music mags cutting up everything that is not left music..........
    you open up pitchfork and you know there gonna love the broken social and hate the new oasis/arctic monkeys

    the polictics are dancing!

    :)
    jon

    1:58 PM  
    Blogger Gilberto said...

    Sorry but that is some quintessentially brit bullshit. It implies one cannot enjoy a certain type of music/band if you happen to be a in a different class as said group.

    -G.

    3:09 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    I take one day off and look what happens to my comment section...

    My official response is "no comment".

    3:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is a site for Rock Snobs, no? Well, I'm more of a rock knob actually but that's besides the point. The point is you post the hotness; we gossip about it. We won't always agree, Miss Valerie; unless, of course, we're talking about you and this stellar news/blog site of yours! ;-D

    MM

    6:26 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    thats not what i'm getting at!

    til next time.

    peace, love and pitchforks!


    It's official, the new primal scream
    single and video is the song of the summer!
    no matter what pitchfork says!
    r.n.r fun!

    :)

    7:44 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home