Thursday, July 28, 2005

living for the weekend

  • My DAD found this link for me where you can watch The Smiths performing "This Charming Man" back in 1983 on Top Of The Pops.
  • Spotlight unnerves Montreal's music scene. Fuckin right.
  • Illegal downloaders buy more music! So there!
  • Bands unite to try to save CBGB. Yawn.
  • There’s a new Kaiser Chiefs video for the soon-to-be re-released "I Predict A Riot"... Only trouble is I can’t watch it here at work :(
  • Dodge has new BRMC downloads! We'll still link him even though he cheated on me with Rachel Scenestars. Because we're better people.
  • Torr has new tracks from Nada Surf (who will never be able to top "Inside of Love"), JJ72 (remember them?), and The Cardigans (I know you remember them).
  • You Aint No Picasso has loads of great indie covers! Well, some of them are great, some not-so-much.
  • Douglas Coupland has two new exhibitions opening at Monte Clark Gallery in Toronto today... More from Torontoist.
  • My friend Amy took this photo and posted on MySpace. Someone riding the London Underground has a sense of humour. It's funny in a scary-cos-it's-true kinda way.
  • Oh and one final thing... Last night my friend, who recently broke up with his girlfriend, randomly struck up an MSN convo with me...
    FRIEND: VALLLLL
    FRIEND: VALLLLLLLL
    ME: hi hi hi
    FRIEND: Hey d'you know what Kasabian's song "Club Foot" and I have in common?
    ME: ????
    ME: tell me
    FRIEND: we are both single

    ... Well, I thought it was funny.

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Dodge said...

    And...I do see, per your last 3 posts, that you do still appreciate me...which is why I love you still and you are still my number one. I have no intentions of leaving you...NOR have I yet committed any blogdulterous acts w/o your knowledge.

    9:48 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey val

    Don't know if you have seen this site but if not check out www.feedlindsay.com, you would look fab in a nice feed lindsay (lohan variety of course) trucker cap!
    Love Em (of Italy fame....)

    1:59 PM  
    Blogger Mike D said...

    I'm glad to see you took the high road with Dodge, but that's expected 'cause your classy like that my Dear.

    I wasn't a big fan of the Kaiser's video—I don't like that old film look as a concept. The best parts were the ones with Rickey dancing and those were few and far between. That song's got so much energy and to me the video treatment didn’t come close to capitalising on that.

    Thanks for that article on the Montreal scene. I was wondering what Dante DeCaro was up to and now I know. After listening to the new stuff I think he did the right thing leaving over creative differences. The one thing I didn’t get in the article was all the talk about the Unicorns. Their break up so long ago but I guess Islands stuff hit the blogs not too long ago so that was the news hook. That being said I’m not sure I get the lasting legacy of the Unicorns. I have Who Will Cut Our Hair When We’re Gone? and although I liked it for a period (‘cause I like quirky children’s music for adults) I can’t say I’ve had the urge to play it recently. They have some brilliant snippets of pop music in those tunes and I hear their live shows were absolutely crazy but I can’t imagine a legacy of their size was built entirely on that.

    6:54 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Dodge - We're cool.

    Emily - Thanks babe! I still swear you're my long lost twin! Come drop by Toronto on your world tour!

    MikeD - Yeah I dont think much of the new Kaisers vid either... Oh and I for one thought The Unicorns were shite - but I did like their pink capes.

    8:46 PM  
    Blogger Dodge said...

    That's it? "We're cool". Is this one of those woman things where you say everything is cool, but in reality everything is not cool? ;)

    9:10 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home