Wednesday, March 22, 2006

i'm too old for rock shows

  • So I survived the Arctic Monkeys show last night in spite of the rambunctious children and dickhead security. I thought the musical performance was pretty tight and the songs sounded brilliant but their stage presence still sucks. And while I really enjoyed it, my date did not... I'd give it a B+. (Here's the Toronto Sun's review.)
  • Morrissey apologizes to Arctic Monkeys.
  • Torr has a new Morissey b-side, "Good Looking Man About Town" from the "You Have Killed Me" single.
  • Pete Doherty allegedly offered a journalist from Rolling Stone heroin. At least he's generous.
  • Pitchfork has Amy Millan (Stars/BSS) solo album details.
  • Thanks to Script Girl for this link to stupid haircuts on MySpace. Those emo kids sure do do love their asymmetrical hairstyles.
  • If I get a Lollapalooza ticket would anyone in Chicago be willing to let me crash at their place?
  • Thanks to MikeD for telling me about the '24 Hour Party People' Hacienda Tour coming to Toronto next week. I wanna go. Who's coming with me?

  • 10 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    " the musical performance was pretty tight and the songs sounded brilliant but their stage presence still sucks"

    I definitely agree. I was at the show at Phoenix as well... their stage appearance just didn't match the energy that the music has. The crowd was jumping around like Nsync fans at a Justin Timberlake show. I ended up leaving early for the Prodigy show.

    12:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just can't get enough of this Pete Doherty saga.

    “Over the next three hours, Doherty will also smoke crack, shoot heroin and take an ecstasy pill. He offers me heroin and ecstasy but not crack. I decline.

    classic.

    raff

    12:36 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Pete Rolling Stone interview is from a long time ago.

    1:50 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah, I was at the show last night too, and met Alex at the edge beforehand. Even with all the buildup, I thought they were worth it and put on a great show. I agree though, some of the crowd were dickheads.

    2:06 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Their hype had me hyped, babe; maybe too hyped. I guess I just expected more. They're so young, though, I do see crazy potential. I suppose everybody does... Turner's solid, but musically I'm just like, whatev. The odd song? Sure... but you've introduced me to plenty other stuff that connects and stays with me.

    Different strokes, blah, blah, blah. Maybe next album I'll fit in. Right now I'm moshed out... :-P

    MM

    2:11 PM  
    Blogger Fawaz said...

    I think that Mani has already dropped off this tour - too bad, it would have been great to see one of the Stone Roses again.

    4:40 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Muaha - what can I say that stupid myspace haircuts thing will bring me endless laughter for days to come, not neccessarily because of the comments made on them but they truly are...stupid haircuts.

    Paper dint think the stage antics weren't exactly as good as their music when the Monkeys played SXSW too...

    11:07 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Anonymous - Phew! I'm glad it wasn't just me! And yeah, the moshing and bodysurfing did NOT fit the vibe. I heard that Prodigy show was MINDBLOWING! What did you think?

    Raff - Me neither. Apparently.

    Claire - It's all the buzz now for some reason.

    Anonymous - What did tou think of the band when you met them? Great show, questionable crowd.

    MM - Thanks for acknowledging I have some musical taste. ;)

    Fawaz - Oh boo! That sucks! He was a big draw for me (as Hooky always seems to be around DJing)!

    Rebecca - I'm sorry you missed it! I ran into Mark there but didn't see any other familiar faces!

    Penguin - Oh MySpace emo kids... so so lame. So so easy to mock.

    11:26 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Re: Meeting the band - It was weird, if you heard the interview they sounded like the most boring disinterested people about the show and everything, but when they were signing stuff and talking to the crowd they were really genuine and funny, Alex was telling this story about what happened after the Oasis show, but with his accent it was damn near impossible to figure out what he was saying, so everyone just kind of chuckled. Goodness, did anyone get there early for the Splinto Band ? I think they were the worst . . band . . ever

    2:03 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, the Prodigy show was perfect... it was everything I hoped it would be, and more... just fantastic. A few songs I would have liked to have heard, a few songs I might have played different, Firestarter was disappointing, but still... just fantastic!

    I think the thing about the crowd... Toronto is often known for our rat-like faces and stone-wall personalities... In that sense, it was cool seeing people let loose at the Monkeys show. However, watching everyone sing-along to EVERY song... again, just reminded me of the hype whenever Nsync are in town.

    It turns out, in retrospect, I could have stayed for the entire Monkeys set and still caught all of Prodigy, but I wasn't keen on missing *any* of Prodigy (whereas I felt missing portions of Monkeys was okay).

    Arctic Monkeys will be back... Prodigy is a little more questionable.

    8:40 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home