Thursday, May 18, 2006

i want candy

  • The Concretes have cancelled the rest of their US tour after having their equipment stolen and their frontwoman getting sick.
  • Panic! At The Disco have lost their bassist but assure fans they will still continue to make incredibly mediocre music.
  • Details on the new album from Muse for those interested.
  • Alex Kapranos (Franz Ferdinand) was fired from his first band for being "too ambitious".
  • Lots of free shows in NYC this summer. Let's hope Toronto has a similar fate in store for all the broke indie kids (like myself).
  • Hey, did you know Sloan's song "The Other Man" was written about Feist? Yeah, I sure didn't!
  • Skatterbrain has The Pipettes singing "I ThinK We're Alone Now". As much as I like The Pipettes I've NEVER liked this song.
  • Chromewaves has news/music/videos from The Futureheads and Maximo Park. Both bands have always sounded very similar to me and consequently I love them both equally.
  • The man behind the awesome Unearthed Podcast I posted a few days ago has a blog.
  • Does Kate Moss have a new crackhead boyfriend? Does anyone care anymore?
  • Rumours (possible spoilers) circulating about tonight's season finale of The O.C.. It feels like all I've done is watch TV this week.
  • If you like Grey's Anatomy you're gonna wanna watch this video (fastforward to about 2 minutes, 40 seconds in).
  • I'm really looking forward to Sofia Coppola's new film Marie Antoinette and with Kevin Sheilds working on the soundtrack I have even more to get excited about. (Seriously, who doesn't enjoy "I Want Candy"?)
  • Happy Birthday to my old friend/housemate Lyn Kenney!
  • 9 Comments:

    Blogger Gilberto said...

    Ch ch check this out:

    http://knkisser.blogspot.com/2006/05/morrissey-viva-hate-outtakes.html

    Outtakes from a certain album by a certain singer who is not touring Canada.

    G.

    4:33 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    From what I've read(probably on the Sloan mailing list or Feist message board), Leslie and Chris were an item at one time. Before Leslie released Let It Die, she had released a selection of demos of some of those songs, calling them The Red Demos and apparently a bunch of the Sloan guys backed up Leslie, including a demo version of "Mushaboom".

    7:50 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Panic! At the Disco releases the most uninspired music ever.
    (Long delayed sixthe podcast tommorrow.)

    11:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think it's cool The Moz isn't touring Canada in support of the seals. It's about time people start acting out against the cruelty to animals. I know Canada isn't the only place where it happens but you should start somewhere.

    10:20 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree. It's sick that people don't seem to care about anything but themselves and what Britney said in US weekly- get a life

    11:00 AM  
    Blogger Gilberto said...

    Under that logic, Moz would do very short tours around his block, because every single country has some sort of animal cruelty. It ranges from illegal exports, cruel breeding farms, fur industry, animal drug testing, Paris Hilton, et al.

    -G.

    11:39 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not really G- He should start with high profile places (Canada) and raise controversy (like he did) and get people talking and hopefully doing something about it. It's a huge problem and I'm glad someone is speaking out against it- And these people that get all bent about it make me sick-Animals ought not be treated like humans- They deserve better

    1:05 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Aw, thanks for the link G!

    mike - Ahaha, that's really interesting. It's weird how (it seems to me that) Canadian musicians relationships are so rarely reported compared to liek American and British bands.

    Celebrity DJ Chris Dart - Seriously! It's just annoyingly repetitive drivel!
    Oh and I'll check out the new podcast when I get back Tuesday!

    Anonymous - Do you mind if I ask if you're Canadian?

    Because I'm a huge Moz fan (went all the way to Manchester to see his homecoming show) and an animal rights advocate but I still don't really think its cool... In fact, I think its unfair and hypocritical... But I don't have time to get into it again.

    L david - I have no idea what you're talking about dude.

    Gilberto - I'm with you man!!!

    Habi - If Morrissey really wanted to make a point he would have boycotted America (for Bush, for the Iraq war, for everything Moz stands against, etc.)
    Morrissey's not really well known in Canada and his "boycott" wouldn't even make the evening news. It's not even a blip on the radar... So the only person his boycott affects is his fans. And Canada's just a convinient place to make a stand because he wouldn't make much money touring here anyway.

    1:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    except look at all the controversy it has caused...Eh rock snob

    1:49 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home