Friday, July 29, 2005

heartbeat, increasing heartbeat

  • First of all, mad props to my friend Mariah who's lunching with the Prime Minister up in Timmins today!
  • Pete Doherty might be in trouble with the police again... this time it's for assault. Sigh.
  • ... and now Damon Albarn has begun openly criticizing Doherty’s lifestyle and particularly his performance at Live 8. I don’t know why. Its not like Mr. Albarn’s a stranger to being fucked out of his mind onstage...
  • ... but really, the Make Doherty History headlines are mean. Its not like he’s Bono or anything.
  • In the meantime let’s all hope Pete doesn’t turn to God on us. Because that would be boring. Which is a crime worse than murder (or so says my English husband).
  • NME’s got the new BRMC video for "Aint No Easy Way Out". Oh how I've missed those boys.
  • Check out the fantastic video for "This Town Aint Big Enough For The Both Of Us" by Justin Hawkins new project, British Whale.
  • Mike D's launched a campaign for more Annie in Toronto clubs.
  • Watch the trailer for the new Johnny Cash biopic Walk The Line over at Stereogum.
  • Thanks to Chromewaves directing me to the very entertaining boys and girls guides to snaggin a hipster... Oh and there's also a Morning News how-to guide to hipsterdom... Incase, you've, like, missed the last 3 years or something.
  • When you’re out enjoying yourself this long weekend, just remember to APPRECIATE cos Osama bin Laden wants to ruin your high!
  • This morning my office is filled with the fumes of paint thinner and no one can figure out why. My boss has called someone environmental safety group to check it out. Apparently the fumes are so bad its been deemed an "emergency"... I'm not complaining or anything, thus far its made my morning slightly more fun than usual... Anyway, I better get back to work now so I can, like, save the world and stuff. Have a great long weekend everyone!
  • 10 Comments:

    Blogger ***** said...

    Okay the video for "This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us" is just awesome!

    Hey, if you want to hear something crazy check out this:

    Wang Chung covers Nelly's Hot in Herre
    http://myspace.com/wangchungtheband

    12:15 PM  
    Blogger Steve said...

    What's Damon's problem lately? Is he on some sort of ego-trip, and what's up with the negativity? No wonder Graham Coxon left Blur!

    Lighten up Mr. Albarn! Otherwise we'll send Liam after you...

    2:19 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    nathan mckenzie - Yeah, its pretty amazing. And I kinda think I have a mild crush on Justin Hawkins now (I'm embarassed to admit).

    rocknrollstar - Damon's kinda a cunt. Always will be... At least we'll always have Liam. And you're right, at least Graham Coxon made it out alive and still continues to be awesome whereas Blur *shrugs* not-so-much.

    2:36 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kinda? Seeing him trying to get Graham back in Blur is kinda sad, but after the horrendosity that was Think Tank (not a real word, I know, but there are no words to describe that mess), I can't see myself wanting to pick up anything by the 3-piece Bleh. Sorry. Blur.

    4:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And let me be the first to say that TTABEFTBOU might just be the weirdest thing this side of the Crazy Frog to top the UK charts this year (you know it will). And we'll all be the better for it.

    Now, let me go order my "Pete Doherty is innocent" t-shirt. ;)

    4:36 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Thierry - You're quickly becoming one of favourite people with your disgust for new Blur and appreciation for British Whale's Sparks cover. Props.

    Oh and I totally didn't buy a "Pete Doherty is Innocent" shirt for fear that all the drama would all be over by the time my shirt arrived... Boy was I wrong.

    4:52 PM  
    Blogger Steve said...

    Rock Snob,

    I wish we'd all get that "long weekend"... Happy Civic Holiday!

    6:26 PM  
    Blogger Mike D said...

    Those are two choice video treatments. The British Whale one being the better of the two. As per the song it just crazy enough to win some affection from me as well—it’ll take a little growing though.

    The hipster links provided much enjoyment. I think that the boys got the better deal on this one. That's a pretty comprehensive step-by-step guide to snagging your own hipster girl for some snoggin' and such. The guide for the girls trying to get their own hipster guy is more of a how to identify this hipster type and this what to expect once you he's your's. But I'm sure it all balances out 'cause, really, you gals tend to need less help when it comes to that kind of thing.

    Le sigh to Mr. Albarn. There's little doubt he's consistently produced some great tunes. But he really needs to listen to good ol’ Mom's advice and quit with the slagging. If you've got nothing nice to say…. 'Side parodying Make Poverty History for this purpose is in very bad taste.

    More trouble with the law for Pete?! I think that man was born without the angel on his shoulder that you see in cartoons all the time. That or the devil on his shoulder killed the angel and replaced it with an evil twin or something.

    I don't know what to do with poor Pete anymore. He's tried rehab, he's had a kid, he's tried the love of a seemingly good woman. The only I think that has any chance of working is a full reunion with Carlos. I know they’ve already tired that (when he was let back into the Libs for the first time), but the poor dude has clearly hit at or near rock bottom and I cannot think of anything better to help him out than the love of his dear friend. Let's hope that's that route, rather than the God thing 'cause if it does turn out to be true that he's found God, I’m fearing more now for our Libertine than ever before.

    Lastly, thanks muchly for the link love my Dear, you really are too good to me.

    6:31 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the props. Mad props would've been better, but I'll settle for props. And you know you had me at "Unsatisfied". ;-)

    I'm still hesitating about the t-shirt. On the one hand, it's about $30 with shipping; on the other, I may be able to put it to good use for many years, provided Pete doesn't go and do something tragic. P

    9:57 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Now, let me go order my "Pete Doherty is innocent" t-shirt. ;)

    5:11 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home