Tuesday, July 18, 2006

everything's just wonderful

  • The Mercury Music Prize shortlist has been announced. Arctic Monkeys and Thom Yorke are the favourites to win but Muse, Editors and Guillemots are also in the running... And I secretly hope Richard Hawley gets a surprise win. Oh and BBC looks at the highs and lows of the Mercury Music Prize.
  • Kasabian have kicked their guitarist/keyboardist Chris Karloff out of the band.
  • Arcade Fire are producing their new album by themselves.
  • The director himself sent me a link to the fantastic new Gnarls Barkley video for "Smiley Faces". It's absolutely brilliant!
  • Even Pitchfork likes Lily Allen.
  • Alan McGee says the single is dead. I wouldn't notice because people have never really bought "singles" here in Canada.
  • Art Brut and We Are Scientists have teamed up and recorded each others songs for a split single. We Are Scientists are covering "Bang Bang Rock & Roll" and Art Brut are doing a nine-minute version of "The Great Escape".
  • Soon you'll be hearing Franz Ferdinand's "Do You Want To" in Loreal commercials. Sigh.
  • Belle & Sebastian are curating an album of children's songs performed by the likes of Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Divine Comedy, The Kooks, The Flaming Lips and Belle & Sebastian (obvs). Proceeds go to charity.
  • The older I get the more I like Peaches. She's at the Kool Haus tonight.
  • 8 Comments:

    Blogger kat said...

    I definitely don't think Arctic Monkeys or Thom Yorke will win, but what do I know? I'm betting on Guillemots (1st choice), then Editors and Hot Chip. AM & Thom are too well established already to win!

    11:37 AM  
    Blogger Gilberto said...

    You don't remember the Play Station Portable adds with Franz? That whole "we don't sell out thing" was always bullshit preciosa.

    G.

    1:36 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    1. Peaches does indeed rock.

    2. NME got it wrong - the small chappel Arcade Fire bought and renovated into a studio is located in the Eastern Townships (about a 45 drive from here :) not Montreal.

    2:19 PM  
    Blogger Gilberto said...

    Oh, i forgot!

    Tonight , July the 18th, at the Horseshoe, there's this Brit band playing that is supposed to be good. In any case, it is a free gig and i am sure you can find out more info on them. The Feeling is what they are called.

    I have never heard of these dudes so that's is why i want to see them live.

    So anyway, tonight at teh Horseshoe. Since it is one of those new music nights, they might be on anywhere between 8:30 and midnight.

    -G.

    4:53 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    so.sick.of.lily.allen.

    8:52 PM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    kat - I kinda think Arctic Monkeys might take it (cos its all about the songwriting really). I'd be happier to see Guillemots of Richard Hawley win tho!

    Gilberto - Nah, I had no recollection of that! Then again, I wouldn't pay much attention to a video game add anyway! How sad!

    Sam - Thanks for the 411! Do you live in Montreal yourself by chance?

    Gilberto - DAMN! You're too late! I was checking out Superman in IMAX 3D at the Paramount! How was it?

    Anonymous - Yeeeeeah, see I'm not. Not yet anyway.

    12:39 AM  
    Blogger Mike D said...

    I had no idea Gomez winning was considered such a low point in Mercury Prize history. That's overly harsh. I'm glad so see the wins by Primal Scream, Pulp, PJ Harvey and Franz are considered such high point—all those albums are absolute classics. I'm really surprised that Antony's win is up there. I remember being outraged at the time. I've since calmed down. I still think M.I.A. was robbed but I Am A Bird Now is hauntingly beautiful and probably needed the extra exposure—Maya certainly didn't.

    This year I don't know what think. To see Cole's Corners win would be great and I could happen. Is it likely? No but who'd have bet Antony would win last year? If its the Monkeys I'll be begrudgingly satisfied. I mean the albums a pretty accomplished debut but the hype and the naming of the album as one of the best in British history is absolutely ludicrous. You need a good period of time to see the album's impact before making that kind of statement. You needn't look further than what happened to Never Mind the Bollocks. Ask a lot of critics now and you'll find it's been replaced on the list of essentials by London Calling because of the way the musical landscape's evolved. I'm not confident Whatever You Say I Am… will age well.

    10:11 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    rock snob - nope. just over an hour away.

    10:37 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home